Friday, October 10, 2003

George and Tony's Very Special Relationship

I think of George Bush and Tony Blair as Identical
Cousins (yes! like that movie!), identical in every
way except one is American and one is English, and
they get together and plan to do things. In the movie
it was some girly plan to do some childish thing, and
in this case it's to wage wars, but still, there are
similarities.

I imagine them together in the U.N. cafeteria, and
say, George is sitting at a table and then he sees
Tony walk in, much to the chagrin of George's Secret
Service people, (George is such a kid at heart, and
the Secret Service worry that Tony is a bad influence
on George because George tends to act a bit sillier
when Tony is around, like he is showing off or
something. For a president, this can spell trouble.
Anyway...) George is immediately halfway out of his
seat yelling and waving "TONY! TONY! Over here! I
saved you a seat!" And Tony, he's British, so he's
playing it cool, but you can tell he's kind of proud
to be best friends with the leader of the free world.
So of course Tony goes right over, and as they are
eating lunch they are making faces about the crappy
food served in the U.N. cafeteria, Tony is all "Cous
cous!? More like Goose poop!" and George is laughing
so hard that he almost chokes, then the Secret Service
really shoots Tony a look. And Tony is respectful of
the role of the Secret Serviceman, but at the same
time he is a bit, Fuck you, man, (or maybe "bloke",
because he's English, but this is really a side issue)
I am the leader of a big country myself! You need to
give me my props, not be shooting me looks and shit. I
don't know exactly how he would word it, because he is
British and you can never really tell with those
people.

Then sometimes I wonder if Tony is just using George,
you know, for the good of his country, you know,
because the Brits man, they can be users. Maybe he is
all buddy-buddy with him just to try to help England
recoup some of its former glory. I worry about how
that would hurt George, because George would find out
and he'd be all "You used me!" And Tony would be all,
"I didn't mean to hurt you George, but I had to do it,
for the good of my country." And sure, George would
try to understand, because he is also the leader of a
country, so he truly "gets it", but still, it would
hurt him.

No comments: