Saturday, February 21, 2004

NASA and Co.

Why, why, why does everyone feel they have to "reinvent the wheel"? Why!? Beacuse of human arrogance, is that why!? Or is it perhaps because of the cold war, with the Ruskies? I do not know, but I do know this--it is wasteful.

Case in point: I see NASA is planning some missions to Mars. And, in their plans I see they have all these new sketches for rocket ships that will carry them to outer space. Mainly they all look like the moon rocket, just turned on its side and with like a Star choice or Bell Expressvue direct tv satellite dish on the side. I would think the astronauts would have more to do than watch satellite tv while abord a space craft, but then I read the trip was like 4 months long so then I could understand it. Anyway, the rocket they show that they are going to build to take cosmonauts into outer space is, I feel, a flagrant waste of taxpayer money because the Enterprise a) already exists and b) can go super fast so I doubt it would take more than an hour or so to get to Mars at warp 7 or 8. (That right there would save at the very least the cost of the Direct tv satellite installation, which can run you into the hundreds). But, you know at NASA they are all "We're NASA, we have to do this ourselves, with our fancy science and engineering degrees, and our big, NASA budget, and so we can't just rely on Hollywood."

Or perhaps it is more a matter of it being one of those things that "they" don't want you to know about. Which, again, is so stupid because there are already like five or six Star Trek movies out, all featuring The Enterprise, and I think there's a tv show as well, with that time traveller fellow, Mr. Scotty Bacula, so I really don't see how they think they could keep it a secret. But this is so typical of the arrogance of NASA. Really, why don't they just change their name to BIGBABYA--it would be more fitting!

No comments: