Tuesday, February 11, 2003

Partying (How to know when you are actually doing it) With A Special Section On How to Know When You Are "Kicking Back"

How Do I Know When I Am "Partying"?

I ask myself these simple questions.

Is there music playing?

If so, am I moving my foot or entire leg with the music?

Am I smiling?

Do I have a drink in hand?

Are there other people there?

Do I feel tempted to utter any Will Smith-isms, to impress the ladies, or simply to show my hipness?

I feel if I can answer yes to 4 of these questions then I can feel fairly confident that I am indeed "partying".

But What about the more elusive "kicking back"?

I confess this one perplexed me for some time. I think the kicking part threw me, I felt there should be some kicking involved. I was really, really, and I will admit it now, really hung up on the kicking part. Like, if you are in a LA Z Boy and you throw yourself back against the back of the chair, fairly violently, so as to activate the recliner mechanism, and then you sort of throw your legs up in the air, kick style as you are doing it, then I think you can be pretty confident that you are kicking back. But what if you aren?t kicking? What if you are reclining on the sofa? Well, in that case, I feel your feet should be up on the coffee table, or on an ottoman if you have one. Because this is really borderline on account of the no kicking involved.