Thursday, December 17, 2009

Demoted!

I just got a group email forward wishing me a Merry Christmas and a happy new year. Not to be a nit picker here, but I think New Year's Day has acquired enough cultural significance as a holiday that it now deserves to be capitalized, but whatever, it's Christmas!

My point here is this is from a friend who was once a really close friend -- like best friend close. We've grown apart to be sure -- we haven't spoken in a year or more, and before that our frindship had been fading fast, but still, it bugs me to get this group forward. The email itself seems like the kind of thing one sends to the co-workers who don't warrant even one box of candy out of the 20 dollar multi-pack box of chocolates one buys at Costco.

It's not even a personalized message -- it's group forward! It seems kinda half-assed, frankly it seems kinda one quarter assed to me, but it's Christmas time and I am being generous of spirit!

Inevitably someone will say something like maybe you should be glad to have been remembered at all! But I don't feel that way; I feel a little slighted by the conscious degree of non-effort that went into the greeting.

And that's really all I have to say about that, Forrest Gump.

No comments: