Friday, December 18, 2009

Julie and Julia

I just finished watching the dvd version of "Julie and Julia". And I am a little sad to say that I expected to like it more than I did. I think it was because I found the Julie Powell character rather unlikeable. I didn't like her for a bunch of reasons, but here's a good example: When Julie made her "pilgrimage" to Julia's kitchen in the Smithsonian, and she pulled out the pound of butter and laid it in front of Julia Child's picture, as though it were a shrine, and said "I love you, Julia!" (You know, all plucky and hat-in-hand sincere and she seems to add, in that spunkly, plucky li'l look "I know you don't like me, but goll darn it I am going to like you anyway!...I momentarily softened. And then that moment passed as quickly as it came and I thought, how goddam contrived! My heart shrank two sizes that day.

And that was the nicest thing she did in the movie!

I feel mean saying that, but it is the truth.

No comments: